About Me

Hi.  My name is Krystal Grieger. I am starting my third year of graduate school studying organic chemistry at North Dakota State University (NDSU).  I am a North Dakota native who grew up in the small town of Gardena, ND.  I attended high school in Bottineau, graduating in 2006. In May 2015, I obtained my bachelor's degree from NDSU with a double major in chemistry and chemistry education and a minor in biology.  

I have a wide variety of interests, which range from reading to baking. One of my favorite things that I enjoy doing is scientific outreach activities for kids.  I’ve included some of the links for demonstration ideas which I find interesting if you want to give them a try. In addition to outreach, I was recently elected president of NDSU’s Chemistry and Biochemistry Graduate Student Association so looking forward to see how that goes in the coming year.  Looking further into the future, my long term goal is to teach at a regional university.

Outreach Activities
Making Slime – Slime seems to be the craze these days especially with all the add-ins which can include sequins, beads, glitter, glow-in-the-dark paint or my personal favorite fluorescent dye. I purchased the dye from Education Innovations, though most science education sites carry it.

Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream – Kids seem to find liquid nitrogen super cool and making ice cream with it is a lot of fun. 
** In addition to making ice cream, my personal favorite is to pour some of the LN2 into a container and place balloons into it without telling the students what it in the bucket until afterwards. I usually let little kids predict how many balloons will fit in my bucket and then watch them be amazed as many more fit in, which is followed by the equal surprise when the kids get to watch the balloons “re-inflate” as they warm back up.  Excellent way to demonstrate Charles’ Law. 

Making Casein Plastic – This one works well with older middle to junior high school students as well as with younger students and the scope of the explanation can be tailored to each.

Balloon Spearing – This one can be done as described by putting the dish soap on the balloon itself, or a slightly cleaner way is to put the dish soap in sample vials and have the students dip the skewer into the soap before spearing the balloon.  In addition, if you have the students return the skewers they can be re-used from one demonstration event to the next.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Review of Two Active Learning Theories: Experiential Learning Theory and Inquiry Based Learning Theory

Reflections on our group's project and colleagues presentations